Scroll Down for More “Need-to-Know” Info
Important Travel and Packing Notes
From the 101 North or South —
Exit on LYNN ROAD. Turn LEFT (from 101 South) or Turn RIGHT (from 101 North) and drive 2.9 miles. Lynn Road turns into OLSEN ROAD. Follow this to CAMPUS DRIVE and turn RIGHT onto Campus. Follow the USA signs to the staff check in area.
Upon arrival, look for USA signs that will direct you to check-in. All programs will be checking in at NORTH Hall. You will receive your room key, a parking pass for your vehicle (if necessary) and additional information related to your workshops. Please keep your belongings in your vehicle until you get your dorm key. Programs will be housed as follows:
- Cheer/Mascot — Pederson Hall
- Song/Pep Flag — North Hall (same as check-in)
- Drum Major/Dance/USA Japan — Grace Hall
Liz will be handling staff uniform exchanges in Pederson Hall.
All uniforms should have already been paid for. If there are any additional items you wish to purchase, they can be purchased and paid for during your assigned Uniform Exchange Time at Pederson Hall.
Dance and Drum Majors: Friday 5/26 6:30 a.m. – 7:30 a.m.
ALL Spirit Males: Friday 5/26 12:45 p.m. – 1:45 p.m.
ALL Spirit Females: Friday 5/26 5:45 p.m. – 6:45 p.m.
ALL Spirit Females: Friday 5/26 10:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.
ALL Spirit Females: Saturday 5/27 12:45 p.m. – 1:45 p.m.
ALL Spirit Females: Saturday 5/27 5:45 p.m. – 6:45 p.m.
Sunday (Last minute exchanges)
ALL Spirit: Sunday 5/28 12:15 p.m. – 12:45 p.m.
ALL Dance/Drum Majors: Sunday 5/28 5:45 p.m. – 6:45 p.m.
*** Please come only at the times listed above to help alleviate crowding ***
Have questions prior to your travel day? Call Liz Rohrmoser at the office at (562) 240-2022 or email LRohrmoser@varsity.com
In case of emergencies on the day of travel, call the SAT hotline at (714) 797-8664.
Travel plans for the upcoming USA Instructional Staff Training at Cal Lutheran University are now posted on the staff website (www.usastaff.info). Please make sure to visit the staff website in order to view and confirm your travel.
IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU ALLOW PLENTY OF TIME FOR CHECK-IN & SECURITY. AT MAJOR AIRPORTS, YOU MUST CHECK-IN 2.5 HOURS PRIOR TO YOUR DEPARTURE TIME. FRIDAYS & SUNDAYS ARE ESPECIALLY BUSY AT AIRPORTS. ALWAYS ALLOW EXTRA TIME.
Upon arriving at LAX (Los Angeles International Airport), proceed to the baggage claim on the bottom level to pick up your baggage. Go out the doors and head to the curb that is marked BLUE. Take the BLUE shuttle that will get you to PARKING LOT C. Once you get to PARKING LOT C, you will need to get off at the stop closest to the “cell phone waiting lot/depot” before the shuttle goes back to the airport. The shuttle is free and your carpool person will be picking you up at the “cell phone waiting lot/depot” area. See map below. Please make sure to have something that says USA, i.e., clothing, clipboard, etc. This will allow the driver to notice you right away.
There will be more than one staff member picked up at a time. It is important that you do not take it upon yourself to change or alter your travel itinerary. Please allow drivers at least 30-45 minutes for pick up due to Los Angeles traffic being heavily congested. If after that time there has still been no pick up, please call the Staff Assistance Team (S.A.T.) emergency “hotline” at 714-797-8664.
If you have questions prior to the day of travel, please call the office and speak to Liz Rohrmoser at (562) 240-2022.
Linen packages for the dorm will be provided to staff members that have flights. These linen packages contain the following items: a pillow, a thin blanket, 2 bath towels and one wash cloth. For those not flying, please plan to bring your own linens and towels.
Travel plans for the upcoming USA Instructional Staff Training at Cal Lutheran University are now posted on the staff website (www.usastaff.info). Please read all travel plans carefully and be sure you understand your specific travel itinerary. Make sure to visit the staff website to view and confirm your travel.
Please contact your passengers or your driver to arrange the details of your carpool. The sooner you do this, the better. If you need a refresher on how to look up staff phone numbers, please see the “How To” box above. Remember that some staff members may be part of a different program, so please check the program they are in to get their number.
For those of you who are picking up staff from LAX (Los Angeles International Airport), you must plan to pick them up in PARKING LOT C at the “cell phone waiting lot/depot.” This is the main drop-off/pick-up area for the PARKING LOT C shuttle buses. Please see map below. It will be helpful to call the airline ahead of time to see if their flights are on time before you leave to pick them up. This parking lot is free for the first 2 hours. Please keep in mind there are many staff members being picked up by various carpools. Remember to stick to your designated travel plan and not deviate from it.
Be aware that if you have to make a change, it will affect more than yourself. Please avoid making travel changes. If changes are necessary, please give SAT ample notification. Please contact Liz at (562) 240-2022 with any questions.
The Staff Assistance Team (S.A.T.) emergency “hotline” is 714-797-8664. If an emergency arises the day of travel, call the hotline number and we will be able to assist you.
USA Staff receiving meal/travel money will be paid as follows:
- All per diem will be paid in cash for all instructors;
- All travel related money (i.e., zones) will be a check request after the training and will be mailed to you as a hard check; and
- For Head Instructors, travel money will be included with your check.
- Always call or check on-line ahead of time to ensure that your flight is departing on time.
- IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU ALLOW YOURSELF PLENTY OF TIME FOR CHECK-IN & SECURITY. AT MAJOR AIRPORTS YOU MUST CHECK-IN 2 ½ HOURS AHEAD OF TIME. FRIDAYS AND SUNDAYS ARE ESPECIALLY BUSY AT ALL AIRPORTS, SO YOU SHOULD ALLOW EXTRA TIME.
- Make sure that your baggage has been checked through to its final destination. Frequently, you may need to make a flight connection (switch planes) at an intermittent airport and you want to make sure that your bags do the same. The claim checks that are put on your bags should have your final destination listed on them.
- Keep your bags with you at all times. Never leave anything unattended.
- You should try to pack uniforms and toiletry items with you to take on the plane. If bags are lost, then it is usually quite difficult to have replacement uniforms sent. Remember all carry on liquids must be 3 ounces or less in size and all fit into one, one quart zip lock bag (otherwise known as 3-1-1).
- If you are a frequent traveler, you may acquire mileage for any flights you take. Have your airline frequent flyer card available at the gate counter.
Please CLICK HERE to view travel definitions and more helpful travel tips!
- You must be 18+ and will need a valid driver’s license in order to rent a car.
- AVIS will not rent to anyone who has a poor driving history.
- Do NOT get any added features with the rental car.
- You will not need to obtain additional rental insurance at the counter. All employees are covered under our group rental contract.
- Under no circumstances should you allow a non-USA employee to drive or ride in a USA rental car.
- Should you have an accident or any damage occur to the car, report it to SAT immediately.
- All rental cars should be returned full of gas and receipts sent to the main office for reimbursement.
- If you return a car without a full tank of gas you will be charged by USA the cost to fill the tank. This is usually $5-$6 per gallon.
- You have 30 days from the last day of your event to get all receipts submitted for reimbursement. Any receipts submitted after that 30 day mark may not be reimbursed.
- Any tickets received while driving a rental car become the responsibility of the person who is driving at that time and not the USA’s.
- Printed copy of your summer teaching schedule signed by you
- A government issued ID (i.e., driver’s license, passport, official ID)
- If you are CPR certified, bring a copy of your current (not expired) CPR card on file
- You will only receive the additional $10 per camp if you bring the copy of your current CPR card on file to Liz
- Staff flying in will be provided with a linen package consisting of a pillow, thin blanket, fitted sheet, two bath towels and one wash cloth
- For those not flying, please plan to bring your own linens and towels
- Veterans — please bring all staff uniforms
- New Staff — staff uniforms will be available at staff training
- All Staff — workout clothes
- Logos on clothing from any camp/competition company other than USA or Varsity are not permitted. Please do not wear logos of a competitor brand at any time during staff training. This is for promotional and brand support reasons.
- Shoes appropriate for your activity, gym floors and grass
- Equipment appropriate for your activity (i.e., mace, poms, whistle, etc.)
- Pens and pencils
- Water bottle
- Spending money (if you need anything beyond the meals provided)
- Head Instructors — please bring your HI manual