Please allow plenty of time to park and get through the extra traffic surrounding all of the excitement of the Formula Drift racing. Our venue is gorgeous and we can’t wait for you to get here!
- Parking recommended in Lot 2 off of Pine Avenue and the Terrace Theater Garage off of Ocean Blvd.
- Buses drop off on Pine Ave. in front of the main entrance to the Convention Center.
- Buses may not park at the Convention Center.
- Arriving for team registration – Enter the main lobby glass doors (across from the Cinemark). See on map below.
- Team Registration will be to the LEFT as you enter the main lobby doors in Room 103. See map below.
- Registration for Dance Nationals will begin Thursday, March 30th at 12:00 PST. Hours of operation are as follows:
- Open 12 p.m. – 8 p.m. Thursday
- Open 6 a.m. – 5 p.m. Friday
- Open 6:30 a.m. – 3 p.m. Saturday
- Please have your music verification ready at Registration.
Spectator wristbands will be sold in the main lobby entrance (off Pine Avenue across from Cinemark/CPK). Please note that CASH is the only accepted form of payment for spectator wristbands.
- Load In Times for Prop will be FRIDAY, MARCH 31, from 7 a.m. – 12 p.m. ONLY.
- We anticipate high volumes of traffic in the “Load In Area” of the Arena starting Friday afternoon, therefore, we are asking all props be loaded during this specific time.
- Load in Location: Back entrance of Arena (off Shoreline Drive – see map below with red arrows indicating where U-turn and driveway entrance are located).
- Props can be stored in the back area until teams are getting ready to perform (behind Arena curtain, against the walls until On Deck).
- All teams must remove their props from the Arena, unless you are competing in Finals, by Saturday at 7 p.m.
- Read the performance schedule from left to right for performance times and from top to bottom to see who is in the division.
- When one team is on the floor, the next two teams must be ready to perform.
- All teams are allotted 30 minutes between each of their performances. This is to allow time for costume changes. If you find that you do not have at least 30 minutes between numbers, you must email email@example.com immediately with this concern.
If you have 30 actual minutes or more between numbers, we will not be able to move your routines up nor down on the schedules.
The 30 minutes is based on the exact amount of time teams have between routines, and is not based on just the “section of time” a routine is in, as listed on the schedule.
Starting times are approximate. If there are cancellations, then a pause in the competition schedule will take place. Be ready to perform up to 20 minutes prior to your scheduled performance time. A penalty will be assessed to any team/individual performing out of scheduled order unless waived by competition officials. If you perform in the incorrect division, you will be disqualified.
- Solo Champion, Super Dancer, Open X-Small Dance, Open Small Military, Open Small Dance will compete in Hall C on Friday.
- Floor Sizing: Dance floor measuring at least 39’ x 60’
- Floor Type: Parquet
- Dimensions of Judges’ Viewpoint
- Judges’ platform approximately 60’ feet from the performance floor. The platform will consist of one riser of judges
- Front Riser 48’w x 16’d x 32” h – judges will have a clear view to the performance floor with no spectators in front of them
- Friday in Arena
- Open/Championship: Small Lyrical, Medium Lyrical, Large Lyrical, Small Military, Medium Military, Large Military, Kick, X-Small Dance, Small Dance, Medium Dance, Small Jazz, Large Jazz
- Top 10 Super Dancer
- Championship All Male
- Saturday in Arena
- Open/Championship: Character Dance, Prop, Novelty, Small Hip Hop, Medium Hip Hop, Large Hip Hop, Intermediate Dance, Large Dance
- Small Dance/Drill, Large Dance/Drill
- Small Dance/Pom, Large Dance/Pom
- Top 10 Solo Champion Semi-Finalists
- Open All Male
- Floor Sizing: Dance floor measuring at least 50’ (front to back) and 94’ (side to side)
- Floor Type: Parquet
- Dimensions of Judges’ Viewpoint: Similar viewpoint as the Hall at ACC last year
- Judges’ platform approximately 20’ feet from the performance floor. The platform will consist of two risers of judges:
Front Riser 48’w x 16’d x 32” h – judges will have a clear view to the performance floor with no spectators in front of them
Back Riser – 48’ x 16’d x 56”
- Judges’ platform approximately 20’ feet from the performance floor. The platform will consist of two risers of judges:
The only designated “dressing rooms” for participants will be located in Hall C. Items may not be left in the dressing rooms at any time. We will have “quick change” areas designated in the “getting ready” warm up area behind the Main Arena curtain. Items may not be left in the “quick change” dressing area. Numerous restrooms are located throughout the Convention Center, but may not be used for changing and/or preparing for competition. Neither the Long Beach Convention Center nor USA Nationals will be responsible for any lost or stolen items.
- Practice areas are designated in the map below and will be used for limited “open” practice in Hall B. Please be courteous and make sure to split time so all participants may have the opportunity to use any “open” areas.
- There will be no practicing on the performance floors in any venue.
- There will be no general public spectators permitted in the “open” or “formal” scheduled practice area at any time. Only teams who are officially warming up and their advisor/coach(es) will be permitted in this area. Special wristbands are required for admission to this area.
- The area behind the performance floor in the Arena will be reserved for teams performing within the next 30 minutes only. No team bags or items can be stored in the Arena pre-performance warm up area (behind the Arena curtain).
- Each team is required to have a representative remain at the music station that knows the routine and music. This representative is responsible for starting the music and stopping the music in case of technical malfunction or injury.
- Music CDs must be properly labeled with the team name and division. Please hold on to your music until the time of your performance. A team representative must remain at the sound station during your team’s performance.
- The sound technician will be able to accommodate audio CDs and MP3s. If using a CD, make sure it’s unscratched so it doesn’t skip. If using an MP3, smart phone, etc. please ensure that there is no case on the device which will obstruct the jack from plugging into the sound system. Please ensure that jacks are clean and free of any debris which may impact connectivity. Note that you may need to acquire an adapter in advance if your player does not have a head phone jack.
- If you are using a smart phone, please ensure that no interruptions (i.e. phone call, alarm, etc.) occur during your performance. Place the smart phone in “airplane mode,” ensure that the volume is turned up and the phone is fully charged. Interference caused by a smart phone that results in routine delay may receive an overtime or delay of contest penalty.
Music guidelines are being followed at all USA and Varsity Brands events, beginning with the 2016-17 season. Competition music must be properly licensed and a team must be able to provide a printed copy of proof of licensing during registration at the event they are attending. This proof will be reviewed at registration. If a team does not have proof of music licensing available, they will be allowed to perform to an optional approved track of music or a track with counts (provided by Varsity Spirit). If a team cannot provide proof of licensing, and do not perform to an optional approved track of music or to counts, the team will be disqualified from the competition. For further details visit www.varsity.com/music.
- No preliminary scores will carry over to Finals.
- For all preliminary divisions, there will be 3 judges on a panel who will provide feedback and decide on rankings. Their scores will be averaged. Any penalties will be subtracted from that score.
- At the Finals competition on Saturday, a panel of 5 judges will decide rankings. Their scores will be averaged. Any penalties will be subtracted from that score.
- At the conclusion of each awards ceremony on Friday and Saturday, teams can pick-up their “Scoresheet Packets” which include scoresheets and recaps from each division in which they competed.
- PRELIMS – These packets will be available in the Arena on Friday and Saturday, following the announcement of finalists/awards for that division.
- FINALS – Scoresheets from Finals Saturday night will be available next to Champions Cove in Hall C and will be available for no longer than 30 minutes after the conclusion of the final awards ceremony that day.
- Scoresheet Packets will be given only to the person designated to receive them. That person must sign for them. Photo identification must be presented in order to pick up scoresheets.
- Teams will receive audio feedback from two judges during their performance. This audio feedback will be distributed to coaches using a private Dropbox account. All information about your private Dropbox account and instructions for how to access these audio files are being emailed to coaches the week of March 20th. Please read through this information carefully.
- If you do not receive an email with your Dropbox user name and password by Tuesday, March 28th, please email firstname.lastname@example.org immediately.
- We will not be accepting USB drives for audio at Nationals.
Friday, March 31st
- Awards and/or announcement of finalists will be presented throughout the day in the Arena. Top teams in the Championships divisions will be designated as finalists and will perform again on Saturday evening for final placement.
- First place teams in the non-qualifying divisions (Co-Ed Dance, Dance/Drill & Dance/Pom) will be invited to perform in exhibition during Finals on Saturday evening.
- Top 10 finalists in the Super Dancer division will be announced Friday at the 1:00 p.m. awards ceremony in the Arena. Super Dancer finalists will then compete Friday night between 6:10 p.m. – 7:50 p.m. in the Arena.
- For the USA Solo Champion division, the top 10 semi-finalists will perform Saturday morning in the Arena, and will be announced during Friday’s evening awards ceremony in the Arena.
- The top 5 Solo Champion finalists will be announced during the Saturday Arena afternoon awards ceremony at approximately 1:40 p.m., and will advance to compete in Saturday evening’s Finals held in the Arena.
Saturday, April 1st
- Awards and/or announcement of finalists will be presented throughout the day in the Arena. Top teams in the Championships divisions will be designated as finalists and will perform again on Saturday evening in the Arena for final placement.
- A schedule for Saturday evening’s finals competition will be available for pick-up at 3:00 p.m. following Saturday afternoon’s awards in the Arena.
Saturday, April 1st – Evening Finals
- For all divisions that advance to Finals, approximately 30% of the teams that performed in the preliminary competition will advance to Saturday evening’s event (this number is subject to change at the discretion of competition officials based upon final enrollment).
- Final competition will be held at the Long Beach Convention and Entertainment Center Arena from 7:00 p.m. – 11:30 p.m.
- Awards will be presented immediately following the conclusion of the competition.
Results will be posted approximately 2 hours following each award ceremony and can be found on our USA Dance Nationals Event Hub: bit.ly/usadance2017.
- Each 1st Place National Division Champion will receive a backpack for each performer, a banner with your division name, and medallions for each performer.
- Each 2nd and 3rd place winner will also receive medallions per performer.
- Each participant winning a National Championship will receive only 1 backpack.
- These items can be picked up at the new Dance Champions Cove in Hall C, immediately following the awards ceremony (including Finals). We encourage all 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners to head to the Cove as quickly as possible following your award ceremony.
- Due to heightened security concerns, all bags are subject to search upon entry into any Long Beach Convention and Entertainment Center venue.
- Bags must not be left unattended at any time.
- Teams must be in possession of all personal items at all times during the competition (except while performing). The United Spirit Association will not be responsible for any items that are left unattended by a representative of your organization at any time (including during your performance).
- Unattended bags are subject to immediate removal by security. Team signs may be brought to the competition, but may not be taped on any painted surfaces. Air horns, or other excessive noisemakers are not permitted in the convention center.
- Throwing of any type of item onto the performance floor and/or the use of laser-type devices in any venue is grounds for immediate removal from the competition and individuals will be subject to prosecution.
- Concession stands will be open at the Convention Center on Friday and Saturday.
- Outside food and drink are not permitted in the Convention Center.
- For families looking for additional dining options, please see this helpful restaurant map: MAP.
- Videos of competition performances will not be available for purchase.
- Individuals are permitted to video routines from your own team’s performances. Recording multiple teams in a division is not permitted.
- Personal video cameras will be permitted, but we ask that you please film only your own team.
- Any individual who does not adhere to this request may be asked to leave the venue.
- Camera tripods will not be permitted at any time during the competition.
- Unauthorized videotaping of any team is subject to immediate removal from the competition venue.
- Official team photos will be taken by Universal Event Photography prior to each team’s “scheduled practice time.”
- Official team photos may be taken by Universal Event Photography 20 minutes prior to your team’s official performance time for each routine.
- Action photos taken by Universal Event Photography will be available for purchase only during the event and will not be available online. Be sure to make your purchase prior to the end of the event.